Friday, August 9, 2013

FAMILY FUN MONTH: Theater for Children by Living Mi Vida Loca

In celebration of August being Family Fun Month, the Center is delighted to share stories by some of Orange County’s favorite family bloggers. 

By Pattie Cordova of Living Mi Vida Loca

Growing up in Orange County allows families to experience so much, without having to travel more than 30 minutes. As families, we go up to the beach to experience the ocean, local parks to see the outdoors and to Segerstrom Center to experience the arts. 

Photo by Pattie Cordova

As parents, we want our kids to have the best childhood and we want them to have more than we ever did. I was 19 years old when I first attended a show at Segerstrom Center. Seeing The Phantom of the Opera performed on-stage opened up a whole new world to me. So, when I saw that Segerstrom Center offers theater for kids, well I jumped on it. Taking my son to his first ever performing arts show earlier this year and seeing the look on his face when the performers took the stage, well… it couldn't have made me happier. 

I was happy to see that Segerstrom encourages the little ones to get into theater early in their lives. Through the Family Series, I am able to purchase a package of five shows for my oldest, who is five years old. My favorite part is how I'm able to schedule out all these mom/son dates in advance so we both have something to look forward to during the year. And, honestly, I really appreciate it when theaters make it easy for me to incorporate art and music into my kids' lives. The shows are pre-screened and separated into different categories, according to the child's age. It takes the guess work out for me so I don't have to sit there and wonder if my kids will enjoy the show. 

Before each show, Segerstrom Center hosts activities that tie into the show - free of charge! During our last trip to see Marionetas de la Esquina, my son was able to decorate a crown which he later wore during the show. It's a great way to calm the kids down before heading in to see the performance. Bonus points for having something to take home with them afterwards. 


Photo by Pattie Cordova

He was also able to meet the performers and puppets that were in the show! It really brought the performance down to a level where he could interact with them and appreciate the art. I look forward to taking him to see more shows as the year goes on. I'm building up to the older-audience shows like The Phantom of the Opera. That would be a real treat for me and because it's so close to my heart, sharing a show like that with him would go down in my books as a memory of a lifetime. 

_________________________________ 

Speaking of Family Fun, the Broadway musical SISTER ACT will be in town from August 6-18.

Bookmark and Share


No comments: